NEW version of the PMBOK® Guide: Sixth Edition - What can we expect?
A "Draft Exposure" of the PMBOK® Guide, 6th Edition was released by PMI this week, for review and comments. It will be under review, in two stages, during this year and the final version of the PMBOK® Guide, 6th Edition is expected to be published in early 2017.
As a word of caution, this draft is only 42 pages long, compared to the nearly 600 pages of the current PMBOK® Guide, 5th Edition, which makes it a little unclear what additions or changes can be expected on a detailed level within each of the chapters. However some structural changes are clearly in evidence.
Here are some highlights of the proposed changes - Remember that this summary refers to a draft version. The final version is still a fair distance down the road and may be quite different:
The Knowledge Areas remain the same, but two have been renamed:
- Project Time Management is renamed Project Schedule Management
- Project Human Resource Management is renamed Project Resource Management
The project management processes have been rearranged in various ways: Three new processes have been added, nine renamed and one removed. In addition, one has been moved to a different Knowledge Area. These changes leave a total of 49 project management processes, up from the previous 47.
- New: Manage Project Knowledge - Integration KA, Executing Group
- New: Implement Risk Responses - Risk KA, Executing Group
- New: Control Resources - Resource KA, Monitoring and Controlling Group
- Moved: Estimate Activity Resources moved from Schedule Management to Resource Management
- Removed: Close Procurements removed. These actitivies are now handled in Control Procurements and Close Project or Phase
- Renamed: Plan Human Resource Management is now Plan Resource Management
- Renamed: Plan Stakeholder Management is now Plan Stakeholder Engagement
- Renamed: Perform Quality Assurance is now Manage Quality
- Renamed: Acquire Project Team is now Acquire Resources
- Renamed: Develop Project Team is now Develop Team
- Renamed: Manage Project Team is now Manage Team
- Renamed: Control Communications is now Monitor Communications
- Renamed: Control Risks is now Monitor Risks
- Renamed: Control Stakeholder Engagement is now Monitor Stakeholder Engagement